Friday, December 21, 2012

Taroles (Ricotta Cookies)

Lastly, we have Taroles, or, Ricotta cookies. These aren't necessarily christmas cookies but I added a little red sugar to the tops to jazz them up. I have been shocked by the amount of people in my life who have never heard of Taroles- (that and monkey bread and puppy chow- did these people have childhoods?!?!) maybe its a Pennsyvania thing, or maybe they just didn't eat as much junk food (albeit. Homemade junk food) growing up, but I can assure you my children will grow up with all three!

Many Tarole recipes have lemon in them, but I come from the school of thought where lemon has no place in my desserts. None. There is also a nice glaze that can go over them for an extra sweetness, but are just
fine without them.

These remind me both of my mom and my friend Mandy. I remember Mandy bringing in a huge bag of these one year to a rehearsal for our spring musical and the entire cast pretty much annihilated the bag. Ah, good
times.


Taroles (Ricotta Cookies)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup soft butter (1 stick)
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsps. vanilla
1 pound Ricotta cheese
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cream together butter and sugar
3. Add eggs, vanilla, Ricotta cheese and beat with an electric mixer
4. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
5. Use a wooden spoon to mix this in with the creamed mixture (the butter, sugar, eggs, and cheese).
6. Drop by the spoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes.


So that was my week of cookies! Molasses Spice, Sugar Cookie Cut-outs and Taroles! My next goal is to try three new cookie recipes this weekend. These last three are tried and true, but I also want to bring some new recipes to the table. What are your favorite holiday recipes?

4 comments:

  1. These look tasty! My family always made Italian anisette (licorice flavor) cookies for the holidays when I was growing up. They are still my favorite to this day. A very merry Christmas to you and your family, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I would love to try these; I might have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog,I follow now,please follow me back!Un saludo !
    Vos codes inkazee du jour by Angela

    Si vous aimez jouer sur les sites Enovaa, Inkazee, Solytary, vous cherchez sûrement à partager vos codes chaque jour

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't WAIT to make these! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some lovin' and thanks for stopping by!