NYC Weekend with Cassie

I live in Queens and work in Manhattan and when I'm in the city during the week I try to take advantage of some of the great things the city has to offer. But mostly on the weekends, the city is the last place I want to be, and over the years I've grown a little jaded to what the city has to offer.

However, this past weekend my friend, Cassie, was visiting from DC and her and I had one of those fantastic New York City filled weekends that didn't break the bank, and was the reminder I needed that NYC really can be the greatest city in the world if you just take advantage of what it has to offer.

We started off Friday evening with pizza at John's of Bleecker Street. Cassie is a friend from back home in Pennsylvania, and we were able to meet up with our other PA friends who are in or near the city: Mallory, Mandy and Dave. The five of us had a nice little reunion night that ended up going into the wee hours of the morning, and way later than any of us expected. Aren't those always the best kind of nights?
 
Cassie and Mallory
Cassie and Mal ready to devour our pizza! It was SO GOOD

Bottled Cherry Colas and pizza that I'm still dreaming about

After we filled our bellies with amazing pizza (and warm soda) we walked over to 16 Handles for frozen yogurt! Like many of the new frozen yogurt places these days, you fill up your own cup with your choice of 16 different flavors of frozen yogurt, and then add as many toppings as you want. We sat outside to eat our dessert and at one point enjoyed a little dancing from Mal in the store window....some things really don't ever change.

After dessert we walked uptown to the Upright Citizen Brigade theater where Dave had reserved us tickets for the 10:30 Improv Show. This was SO FUNNY and for $10, I will definitely be coming back here!
Mandy and Dave at the UCB Theater

Dave was a gentleman and waited with us in Penn Station for our 1am train back to the Queens. Really, I think he just needed an excuse to charge his phone before he headed out to meet up with friends....but it was nice nonetheless!

Cassie had very few demands for her visit here. One demand was to enjoy some good NYC pizza (check) and the other was to eat a good New York Bagel. So Saturday morning I took her to my favorite bagel place by my house. I'm happy to report that she was NOT disappointed, and she bought a bunch for me and Chris to keep! Wahoo, Cassie sure knows the way to this pregnant woman's heart!

We went into the city around 3:00 and were able to score ourselves $26 rush tickets to Peter and the Starcatcher, an off-broadway play that I've been meaning to see! On a high from getting our tickets, we realized we were hungry for lunch so we walked across the street to a place called Mother Burger that looked pretty good.

Lo and Behold...who ends up being our waiter?? A friend from our High School...back in Pennsylvania!! What are the odds? We enjoyed a relaxing lunch with good food and great catch up time with Eric when he wasn't running around tending to his tables.
Catching up with our old friend, Eric!

After lunch we walked to Columbus Circle, we sat in Central Park and talked for 2 hours, and then we got ourselves some delicious Magnolia Cupcakes before we headed back downtown for our 8:00 show.
 

Peter and the Starcatcher is called the "the Grownup's Prequel to Peter Pan." It was creative, imaginative, hilarious, and touching all at the same time. A great piece of New York City theater!
 

This weekend was one of those weekends that reminded me how happy I am to be a stone's throw away from New York City, and how lucky I am to have such great friends to share in these very memorable weekends!

Comments

  1. Wow! What an amazing weekend! The stars really lined up for all of you so you could gather and enjoy good food, good shows, and good company. Simply magical! Glad you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome weekend! And all of your food looks delicious!!! And of course spending time with great friends is always a plus! Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man yes! I've been dreaming about that pizza since Friday - I may need to go back there again. I think if I ever leave New York...the pizza is what I seriously won't be able to live without. It def. was a great fun, friend filled weekend!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous time! That pizza looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me some lovin' and thanks for stopping by!

You may also like: