Picking Natalie's Name

There really is no big story or meaning behind picking Natalie's name. I made a list of potential girl names and would randomly mention a name here or there to Chris to test him out. I learned early on that "sitting down to discuss name after name" was not the way to go about picking a name. It made the process too serious, and when one of us didn't like a name the other person really liked...we would just get annoyed and defensive. So I took to the method of randomly mentioning a name here and a name there to gauge Chris's opinion.
Source

Natalie
For the most part, Chris didn't like 99% of the names I picked for both boys and girls, which was frustrating. Finally, while we were on our babymoon in Miami, I said "What do you think of the name Natalie?" For the first time ever Chris said "I actually kind of like that" I played it cool and just nodded my head, but in my mind I was thinking "Done and done...that's going to be our daughter's name." It was the first (and basically only) name that we both liked right off the bat.

From the Late Latin name Natalia, which meant "Christmas Day" from Latin natale domini. This was the name of the wife of the 4th-century martyr Saint Adrian of Nicomedia. She is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church, and the name has traditionally been more common among Eastern Christians than those in the West. It was popularized in America by actress Natalie Wood (1938-1981), who was born to Russian immigrants.

My baby name book stated the following:
This steady favorite is especially popular for Christmas babies, thanks for its meaning "birthday of the Lord." It's taken from the French form of the saint's name Natalia. Natalie sounds more classically American, Natalia more dramatic. 

source

Claire
Claire was one of my front-runners for a first name. I think it's a beautiful name, I don't know too many people with it, and it has been steadily rising in popularity over the past few years. Chris didn't want it for a first name, so I filed it away for a rainy day. We had two other girl middle names that we were debating on right up until the Saturday before she was born. For various reasons, they just weren't working for us. Finally I suggested we use Claire as a middle name and Chris was surprisingly on board with it. So, Claire was not decided upon until one week before she was born!

My baby name book:
Claire is straightforward, in the best kind of way: sweet, pretty and smart. This classic is now enjoying a burst of popularity, especially among urban professional parents who appreciate its dressed-for-success strength. The traditional English spelling is Clare, the French is Claire.

Online:
Claire, luminous, simple, and strong, with a barely distinguishable French accent, is one of those special names that is familiar yet distinctive, feminine but not frilly, combining historical depth with a modern edge. And though Claire is enjoying revived popularity--it now ranks at Number 45--its highest ever-- it will never be seen as trendy. Claire is also a great middle name choice.

Famous women named Claire include the medieval Saint Clare of Assisi (who was made the patron saint of television in 1958 because of her reputed power to see events at a distance), writer Clare Booth Luce, silent screen siren Clara Bow, and actresses Claire Bloom and Claire Danes.

And that is the "story" behind Natalie Claire.

Also, in case you are wondering, or planning to ask: mums the word on what our boy name would have been. We have to keep it a secret in case we have a boy next! 

Comments

  1. Beautiful names for a beautiful granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for answering my question :) I love the story and the casual way you went about deciding on the name. Such a beautiful name, too :) I've always loved the name Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that you can't sit down and discuss names. You'll get nowhere! But when you know, you know. I think it's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both names, and they're BOTH on our lists too. So pretty and classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had convos about future children names and you're 100% correct about how to go about it! We picked a daughters name just by randomly saying it aloud. And the sting when he rejects your favorites sucks!! Lol. But Natalie Claire is beautiful and flows well. My childhood best friend is Natali without the 'e'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also curious what's a name he threw out that you didn't like? I remember Jonathan threw out the name Charles for a boy. which is his dad's name. I said I love your dad but I just never imagined having a son named Charles. (Ironically enough, Charlotte, the girl name we both love, is the female form of Charles!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love her name. My husband hates every girls name I have come up with except for one name. He is stuck on Briana. It's not a bad name just not for me and he only wants it because he is Brian. I work with a lot of children and sometimes their names have left a bad impression on me so it makes for a had decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie Claire is such a beautiful name, and I think you made a wonderful choice! LOL about keeping the boy name a secret. I was wondering whether you were going to reveal that or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved the name Natalie but my husband's high school girlfriend was named Natalie, hahahaha. I told him I didn't care but he said it would just be too weird and I guess it would have been. Beautiful name, I love how it sounds with Claire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful name! Love it.....
    Natalie is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a classic beautiful name like the one you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the name Natalie Claire. Its beautiful. It is a pretty name for a pretty baby girl.

    Mums the word on a boys name for us too....I would seriously get a kick out of it if we both had boys next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Natalie was one of my top choices...but being that I was due in May and not December it didn't feel right..haha..beautiful name!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me some lovin' and thanks for stopping by!

You may also like: