Teething

Holy Hannah, the last month of teething has been a doozy. Natalie got her first two front teeth (one on top and one on the bottom) with little to no irritability. I thought "wow! this teething thing is a breeze! Maybe I'll have one of those super babies that doesn't even notice or care that her teeth are coming in!"


But something happened as the third tooth came in. We had a particularly bad Saturday night where she woke up around 11:00 am and would not. go. back. to. sleep. I think this was an unfortunate bad timing chain of events as I had just so happened to have a small cappuccino that night after she went to bed. In addition to that, I ordered a decaf coffee out with a friend and I'm pretty sure it wasn't decaf. So when Natalie woke up at 11 and I nursed her immediately - I'm pretty sure the caffeine got to her because I NEVER drank coffee during my pregnancy or after. It wasn't until 3am when she was still buzzing around the room not even acting tired that it kind of dawned on me that it might not have fully been teething that was the issue. Chris and I finally gave her a bath at 3, and then I nursed her to sleep around 3:30 and then I was able to go to bed for the first time that night at 4.

I've always been someone who's very resistant to medicine for myself and that's how I am with Natalie. I've given her tylenol maybe 5 times in the past year, and I've tried oraljel maybe twice. But when she had a bad night of sleep the next night, I finally broke down and bought Hyland's teething tablets. I don't know if she was just so unbelievably exhausted from bad sleep the previous two nights, or if they were amazing, but things definitely got easier from there.

For the past 4 weeks, Natalie went from waking up once a night and going right back to sleep, to waking up 2-3 times a night and not going right back to sleep.


I was worried about the belladonna, but I consulted two pharmacists and they said not to worry about it.

I would take a newborn baby night any day over the night we had on Saturday. Finally at 3:00am after hours of screaming, we gave her a bath. I nursed her for the 20th time that night and we both fell asleep for a few hours in the glider in the nursery. I think we both got 4 hours of sleep.

Comments

You may also like: