Hello Fresh Review

I have an evil plan: to try out alllllll of the many different companies that offer ready-to-make meal deliveries to your home each week. Seriously, there are so many companies out there that all offer the same thing, and all offer significant discounts for your first trial of their company. In fact, there are so many, that I could try each one out there and effectively not have to plan meals, or do significant grocery shopping for the rest of the summer.

The only thing with my plan is I HAVE to remember to cancel the subscription after I try it so I don't automatically get charged each week. Last week I tried Hello Fresh. I signed up for 3-meals for 2 people plan.


I loved each of the meals I prepared, and each one took me about an hour to prepare, but really should have taken a half hour. It took me an hour because I constantly have to stop and go with Natalie running around and tending to Christopher. It was all recipes I wouldn't necessarily have made on my own, but it opened my mind up to trying some new things I wouldn't have tried otherwise. I feel like it taught me a lot. For example, it was sooo easy to cut up ciabatta bread and make homemade garlic croutons for my salad - I will definitely do that on my own again.

My favorite meal I was sent in my shipment was the Cod en Papillote with Brown Butter Caper-Sauce, Dill, and Red Pepper-Potato Hash (I don't eat peppers, so mine was just Potato Hash). Chris doesn't eat fish so I got to enjoy this for two meals in a row, and I was quite happy about that. I didn't take a great picture of this because I was too busy devouring it. It was amazing, soooo easy, and I will most definitely be recreating this recipe on my own. I don't know why, but I never ever think to buy cod for myself. If I buy fish, I resort to salmon. But I looooved this recipe and can't wait to try it again.

My second favorite meal was the Summer Vegetable Salad with Seared Chicken, Garlic Croutons, and Mustard-Chive Vinaigrette. Again, I'm not sure why but I've never butterflied chicken before, but I kind of liked it because it felt like I was eating more chicken than it was.

Lastly, I made Steak Tagliata with Rosemary Sweet Potato Wedges and Arugula Salad. I liked the rosemary sweet potatoes very much. I kept my steak in the oven longer than it suggested and it still was a litttle too rare for me. But I liked it.

I'm already signed up to try Blue Apron the first week of July and Marley Spoon the second week. Then there are at least 4 more companies like these that offer discounts for the first trial:


Each of these alone will take me to practically the end of the summer for literally $30 a week. I just have to do minimal shopping beyond this for milk, fruit, and little things for Natalie. Honestly, I think that this will actually keep our grocery bills down for the next two months.

Have you tried any of these companies? Are there any others out there that I am missing?? Anyone want to join in on the experiment??

I'll be back to give my reviews on the other companies and meals!

Comments

You may also like: