Summer Vacay Day 3

Yesterday I was at work in the city all day - I think I spent 1 hour total with each kid and most of that was nursing Christopher. So that was summer vacay day 2!

Summer Vacay Day 3:
First, the positives:
We took the bike up to the park by our house for a little bit. Ate a snack, played with bubbles, and with a ball. But when we were playing with the ball, she fell and scraped her knee. It wasn't that bad, but she was done with the park after that.
Back at the house,  I set up the water table in the backyard for her to play. We ate lunch, listened to some Raffi and Lori Berkner Band, did some naked painting (Natalie...not me) and spent the rest of the afternoon outside. Our neighbor friends, Lisa and Matthew, came over for a little bit to play in the playhouse and sprinkler too, which was a very nice break-up of the day.

After dinner (lamb roast in the crock-pot and roasted potatoes!), we walked over to the Hershey ice cream shop for some milk-shakes and ice cream!
Then a little photo shoot in our front yard. Don't be fooled - he stood in place the whole time, still not walking more than 8 steps at a time!




So that was the sunshine, rainbows and lollipops version of our day. Here are my actual thoughts:
This is my second day home all day with both kids and honestly, there were several times today I almost waved the white flag. I'm not sure how/if I can do this!! It's actually not so much so that Natalie is home all day now - it's actually that Christopher has become an independent, do what he wants to do, trying to walk, stubborn, and sometimes cranky little toddler! I adore our backyard but there are things I need to do inside (prep lunch, prep dinner, go to the battthhrooom (both me and Natalie) that I can't leave him outside while I do.

So today went something like this:
Play outside at water table
Natalie pushes Christopher away from table
He cries
Finally get Christopher situated with a different toy away from the water table
Natalie has to pee
We all go inside (I finally brought out a kid's potty so that sort of solves that)
Natalie goes to the bathroom while Christopher cries to go back outside
Back outside, they fight over the water table - I get him situated at something else
Natalie says "Mommy, I'm hungry" Time for lunch
I leave Natalie outside, while I take Christopher inside with me to make lunch
Outside for lunch
They fight over blueberries
Bowl of blueberries flies all over the patio
Christopher tries to walk and falls on top of 3 of them
Natalie eats a few off the ground - whatever
I get a work phone call - hope and pray they stay quiet
Christopher plays with the toy car
Natalie decides she wants to play in the toy car
She pushes Christopher
He falls, hurts himself, and in his dramatic cry - ends up hitting his head on the pavers even more
I have to go to the bathroom - take Christopher inside
He cries to go back outside
Ok, let's try painting - Natalie paints, gets acrylic paint on outdoor table (I got it off with a magic eraser. And I know, I know...what was I doing giving her acrylic paint? It was a particular project...)
I answer work emails
Natalie is covered in paint and needs to be cleaned up
All go back inside to wash her hands, clean her down
Christopher needs to nurse
Lisa and Matthew come! Yay! Other people!
Natalie acts up - screams a lot, pushes her brother, she is sent to her room.
She comes back down and apologizes, we play, then time for dinner.

I was given good advice a few weeks ago that I should have at least one thing planned a day. And I have a ton of stuff lined up starting next week - I just didn't really have anything in particular set up this week and I've been lacking motivation to get up and get out. So, I know it will get better and I will get used to this. BUT this summer. This summer is going to be difficult. They aren't at the age where they play together yet, and they each just want to do their own things. I don't even see how I can go to a park or a splash park and watch Christopher the whole time while keeping my eyes on Natalie doing something else.

Many before have done, and I will be fine. I'm just sort of freaking out right now. Anyone have pointers??



Comments

You may also like: